Mission and Goals
The mission of Gilda's Club Greater Toronto is to ensure that all people impacted by any cancer are empowered by knowledge, strengthened by action, and sustained by community. Emotional and social support is essential to a complete cancer care plan. Our innovative programs for men, women, teens and children and their loved ones, fill this gap in care. All networking and cancer support groups, educational workshops and social activities are provided free of charge.
How Your Contribution Helps
Your funds will help our charity support our Noogieland program which is the primary program of children and teens touched by cancer, and it is a supplement to the adult cancer support program.
Noogieland at Gilda's Club Greater Toronto is a warm, supportive environment that fills important psychosocial needs and allays children's fears by making the appearance of cancer part of ordinary life. Some of the Noogieland components include:
- "Kids Talk Out" educational sessions for children who are living with cancer in the family
- "Kids Grieve Too" bereavement sessions for children who have lost someone in their life to cancer
- Teen Time - specifically for teenagers dealing with the emotional strain from their own cancer diagnosis or that of a loved one
- Super Family Saturdays which bring children and their families together to participate in themed activities or outings
- Camp Sparkle - a March Break Camp for children living with cancer
- Camp In The City - a summer camp for children and teens touched by cancer providing them an opportunity to enjoy the camp experience free-of-charge, without ever leaving the city.
Gilda's Club Greater Toronto believes that a cancer diagnosis affects the whole family, and that no one should face cancer alone.
"No other place in Toronto offered cancer support groups for adults where there was another cancer support group for children on the same evening. This has alleviated a whole other layer of stress, and my son has really flourished in Noogieland." (member of Gilda's Club Greater Toronto)
"This place (Noogieland at Gilda's Club Greater Toronto) is so much fun and knowing other kids that also have parents with cancer makes me feel not alone and not so sad." (member of Gilda's Club Greater Toronto)
“Gilda’s Club Greater Toronto is the missing link in the cancer care system.”
(Dr. Patrick J. Gullane – MB, FRCSC, FACS, FRACS (Hon), Otolaryngologist-In-Chief, University Health Network, Professor and Chair, Dept of Otolaryngology, Head & Neck Surgery, University of Toronto.)